Reuters: A protest was held in South Korea on Tuesday, as a sign of
allegiance to man's best friend, the dog.
About 20 protesters gathered in downtown Seoul to demand the government
abolish the tradition of eating dog meat.
With elaborate costumes and props, the animal-lovers shouted
slogans during a downpour to convince more Koreans to give up the canine cuisine.
"Dogs and cats are not livestock, but they are our partners. They are not food, but they are our friends. We should abolish the bad habits of eating dogs or cats."
Dog meat stew, a protein-high dish, is a traditional Korean cuisine first eaten over 1,000 years ago and still finding its place on menus.
But criticism from the West and pet owners has caused a re-think in the country, although South Koreans did ban
canine dishes around the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
The nation has become more discreet, with dog meat restaurants usually
back-alley fare, while other nations such as Vietnam also offer the dish.
/ə‘li:ʤəns/ (n) ~ (to sb/sth) a person’s continued support for a political party, religion, ruler, etc.:
sự ủng hộ
to retain the allegiance of:
duy trì sự ủng hộ của (ai)
to switch/transfer/change allegiance to:
chuyển sang / quay sang
ủng hộ (ai / cái gì)
/ə‘bαlɪʃ/ (v) to officially end a law, a system or an institution:
- to abolish unwritten rules /
regulations: bỏ đi những qui định bất thành văn
/’sləʊgən/ (n) a word or phrase that is easy to remember, used for example by a political party or in advertising to attract people’s attention or to suggest an idea quickly:
4. downpour /daʊnpɔ:(r)/
- an advertising / a campaign slogan: khẩu hiệu quảng cáo
- protesting under the slogan ‘When women stop, everything stops’
(n) a heavy fall of rain that often starts suddenly: mưa như trút nước
5. cuisine /kwɪ‘zi:n/
- We got caught in a torrential downpour.
Chúng tôi bị mắc mưa tầm tã / xối xả.
(n) the food served in a restaurant: món ăn
serve superb local cuisine: phục vụ thức ăn đặc sản
6. livestock /’laɪvstαk/ (n) the animals kept on a farm, for example cows or sheep: gia súc
7. stew /stju:/ (n) a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a container that has a lid: món hầm
8. canine /’keɪnaɪn/ (a) connected with dogs: liên quan đến chó
population: số lượng chó
- Lucky is
her canine companion: Chú chó Lucky
là bạn đồng hành của cô ấy.
9. discreet /dɪ‘skri:t/ (a) careful in what you say or do, in order to keep sth secret or to avoid causing embarrassment or difficulty for sb: kín đáo
10. back-alley /bæk ‘æli/ (a) happening or done secretly, often illegally: lén lút, bí mật