Another run-in with the law for
(Reuters) - Another run-in with
the law for Paris Hilton. The 29-year-old, who is the great-granddaughter of
Hilton hotels founder Conrad Hilton, was arrested in Las Vegas on Friday night
and charged with cocaine possession.
Hours before her arrest on the Las Vegas strip, Hilton sat with a local reporter
for an interview at a hair salon.
This was the second drug-related arrest for
Hilton in two months. She was briefly detained after a World Cup soccer
match in South Africa in July on suspicion of marijuana possession.
Three years ago, Hilton pleaded no contest to alcohol-related reckless
driving and served 23 days in jail.
1. run-in /rʌn in/ (n) (with s.o) an argument or a
fight: cuộc cãi lộn hoặc bất đồng với ai
- to have a run-in with the law: dính
vào vụ tranh cãi pháp lý
- to have a run-in with paparazzi: cải
nhau với mấy tay săn ảnh
to keep somebody in an official place, such as a
police station, a prison or a hospital, and prevent them from leaving:
- to be detained for questioning: bị giữ
lại để thẩm vấn
briefly He was briefly detained by a local
VERB + DETAIN
need not This issue need not
detail her long.
for She was arrested and detained for using drugs. | in
connection with Over 60 people have been
detained in connection with the coup attempt.
PHRASES detain sb
without charge/trial He has been detained
without trial for nearly two years now.
3. plead /pliːd/ (v) to ask somebody
for something in a very strong and serious way: cầu xin, nài xin (=
- to plead no contest: xin không tranh
luận trước tòa
- to plead guilty / not giulty: khai có
tội / vô tội
- Counsel for the accused said that he
intended to plead insanity.
Luật sư của bị cáo cho rằng ông ta muốn chứng minh là bị cáo mất trí.
/ˈrekləs/ (adj) showing a lack of
care about danger and the possible results of your actions: thiếu thận
trọng, liều lĩnh, hoang phí
- to be fined US$ for reckless driving:
bị phạt 100 đô vì lái xe ẩu
- to be reckless of his own safety: coi
thường sự an toàn của chính anh ta
- a reckless spender: người tiêu tiền