Playing it safe in style
- Playing it safe in style. A fashion show in Colombia featured 12,000
condoms in a bid to promote safe sex and to raise awareness about the
risks of HIV and AIDS.
Organizer and model Belky Arizala says the fashion show has long been a dream of
hers. Now, through her foundation, "The Soul Has No Colour", she's brought her
dream to the catwalk, for the fourth time.
"This year the show has more of a voice because the main idea is to tell people
to raise awareness about the use of condoms. Through a sensitive campaign using
fashion we can start getting the message across in a much softer way so that
people become more aware of the value of life."
According to UNAIDS, an estimated 33.4 million people worldwide are infected
with the HIV virus. And about 77,000 people died of AIDS-related illnesses in
Latin America in 2009.
If the humble condom becomes more fashionable, those numbers might shrink
1. awareness /əˈwernəs/ (n) (of
s.th or that + clause) knowing something; knowing that something exists
and is important; being interested in something: sự nhận thấy, sự hiểu
biết, sự ý thức về
- awareness of sexually transmitted
diseases: sự hiểu biết về các bệnh lây nhiễm qua đường tình dục
- a lack of awareness: sự thiếu hiểu
biết, thiếu ý thức
- community awareness: ý thức cộng đồng
- public awareness: ý thức nơi công cộng
- sexual awareness: ý thức (về) tình dục
- VERB + AWARENESS
have These boys and girls now
have much greater awareness of HIV risks. | build, develop,
encourage, foster, heighten, increase, raise
The group is trying to raise public awareness about sex safety.
/ˈsensətɪv/ (n) that you have to treat
with great care because it may offend people or make them angry or embarrassed:
tế nhị, nhạy, nhạy cảm
- a sensitive issue: một vấn đề tế nhị /
- Religion is a sensitive area. Tôn giáo
là lĩnh vực nhạy cảm.
- a somewhat sensitive question: một câu
hỏi hơi nhạy cảm
/ɪnˈfektɪd/ (n) to make a disease or an
illness spread to a person, an animal or a plant: lây bệnh cho ai, làm
nhiểm bệnh ai
- It is not possible to infect another
person through kissing.
Không xảy ra trường hợp lây bệnh cho người khác qua hôn nhau.
- people infected with HIV: những người
VÀO ĐÂY xem thêm từ vựng về "HIV dương tính / âm tính"